Go Back to Cloning Documentation Index
KanseiGenie Director Cloning Documentation
The KanseiGenie Director is responsible for implementing the Aggregate of Aggregate Manager interfaces; for the site policies, and for deploying and cleaning up jobs.
The KanseiGenie Director accomplishes these tasks by interacting with the other array directors (Aggregate Managers), and the KG_ExpDB database. The KanseiGenie Director uses a number of tools. These tools include
The external interface of the KGDirector is the Webservices layer. The KGDirector and the Webservices are cleanly separated and interact through
the MySQL KG_ExpDB database.
- Kansei Scheduler Deamon - The main deployment/cleanup deamon (in perl): Checks the database every 30 sec to look for actions to perform
- Scripts - The backend SSH/SCP deployment/cleanup scripts (perl)
- KanseiDoctor - Tools to monitor the health of various hardware and software components (bash/perl/C)
- DetectorCorrector - Scripts and Cron jobs that periodically check the correct functioning of the deamon.
2 Directory structure
Download the directory package KG_Director_20YY-MM-DD.tgz at the download page, where date depends
on the latest release of the KanseiGenie software. Unzip the package and you
will see the following directory heiarchy.
- modules - stores the perl modules for the daemon
- DC - Detector/Corrector scripts
- Doctor - Health monitor software
- Files - Files uploaded by the users throught the portal
- log - Log files of the daemon.
3 Configuration of the Director
It is important to configure the components of the KanseiGenie Director correctly, to get them all to work seemlessly. We list here the configurations of the KGDirector.
- - Set up username and passwd for (i) Kansei Deamon -called 'kansei' with no login access or shell, (ii) A health monitor user called - 'kdoctor' with no login access or shell
- Set up username and passwd for the MySQL database
- Set up the topology of the devices in the MySQL database
Run scripts/set-loc-stargates.pl script with location file to set the /etc/location on stargates/laptops/pcs
Check if the starup scripts are installed under /etc/init.d/ and with write file prefix
Create username for Kansei user on the Stargates/laptops/pcs
Update the passwd file on all the stargates/laptops/pcs
Check if the rc.local (startup script) on Stargates/Laptops is installed correctly.
Configure the server as a ntpd server. (A sample configuration file is included)
Setup other devices (stargates/laptops/pcs) as NTPD clients.
Setup the wireless/802.11 properties of stargates/laptops
- TelosBs have a many:one relationship to the Stargate/LinuxPC Aggregate Managers, so TelosBs are listed in a separate table in KG_ExpDB.